Skip to main content

The Piano Teacher - Review

 

The Piano Teacher - Review

by Sofia


Female sexuality is a concept that is commonly misunderstood, in his film, Haneke explores this torturous, all-consuming confusion. 


Erika is a very special character to me, she covers herself in layers of frigidity and cruelty to the public eye, hiding vulnerability. Yet, throughout the film, Erika demonstrates that she isn't what she tries so hard to appear to be, she is, deep down, a perverted, scared, vulnerable girl, with a deep intrinsic need for love. However, her perspective on love is so warped considering her relationship with her mother, love, to Erika, is control, a mere power struggle between individuals where agreement and harmony can never be found. While she is an incredible pianist, her knowledge of love is messy and sloppy, often off-key or not following the correct rhythm. 


But she craves it nonetheless and tries to explore it through Walter, attempting to regain a powerlessness she pretends to not possess. However, as the teacher she is, she attempts to control her desire to be powerless, giving Walter instructions concerning how he is to treat her. He rejects this with disgust, leading her to beg him to do what he wants, essentially demanding the same things differently. It is particularly poignant to see a woman be at the mercy of someone so much younger than her, this intermingling of pre-existing power dynamics offers such an intricate analysis of the complexities of human relationships. 


After the rape, Erika's confusion has turned even greater, all culminating in the brief, but powerful final scene. This is a scene that I felt deeply, in it, you can see her disassociation from herself, her eyes wandering around, searching for one person, and one person in particular. It is unclear what this could symbolise particularly. For me, I see it as she has completely surrendered herself, her craving for Walter's affection has overtaken her identity. She is looking for him but doesn't know why, is she going to kill him, fall at his feet, embrace him, rejoice to see him or run away? Simultaneously she also wonders what his reaction will be to seeing her after the events that transpired the night before. When they finally see each other, his nonchalant attitude and words present a gut-wrenching feeling to Erika. While she has completely lost herself, he seems perfectly fine, as though what had happened was meaningless and Erika's pain is unshared and she must live with it by herself. A thought that often overcomes women and their sexual experiences with men is the thought: "Is this it? Is this all I am getting? All I deserve? " A feeling of eternal unsatisfaction.



Comments

  1. Love the parallels of describing love in music theory terms

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I was a Castle

 I was a Castle by David I can give you all the void that I have left The hole where I used to be you might find treasure in the ruins remnants that were part of me Its not your duty to rebuild what I was or even awe at whats now left and no matter how much I need you Ill let you leave if you think its best If you however still decide to pick up hammer, brick and mortar to build along me by my side and push yourself to going forward If you can manage to navigate me to get hurt by the dangers that I keep by words that fall from rotten beams and dragons that are still asleep If loving me is not too much and I am not to small for you If you decide to be with me there is nothing I wont do This was written on Valentines Day February 2024

Welcome to Slash

  Welcome to /Slash/ We are /Slash/ the Literature and Creative Writing committee at your local UCG.  Q: What do we do? A: Well… we write! Q: What do we write? A: Whatever our hearts desire ;D /Slash/ writes Poetry, song lyrics, and Short stories as well as Articles, Opinion essays, Movie and Book Reviews. We also discuss and talk about Literature. Books that make us forget where we are, Poems that make us cry, and Songs that make us kiss random people at the club. If you are interested in writing, finding other people who like to write and maybe even getting your own works published then /Slash/ is the space for you. We would love to welcome you into our worlds and into our hearts <3. How to get Started? Do you want to get something you wrote PUBLISHED???? Well, that’s fantastic!!! There are multiple ways to do that. First, you can always ask a /Slash/ Member and send your work to them for them to get it published on our Instagram and on the mythical, mysterious, and magic...

untitled

The humble beginning of the fire  moves my bones as I dance, with the wind of the East- knitting it's fingers through me as we sway.  Now I see,  baby you needn't do it for me. I shine brighter then what they can tolerate to see!  The Western sun shines over the poles as I look through my fingers and feed the sea with the tears that tumble down - burning from the wind  Joana Written on one those afternoons, May 2023